I had an epidural consultation at McMaster this afternoon. The idea was to meet with the doctor to see if she thought I would be able to have an epidural. If my spine has rotated at all then it may not be possible. Well everyone I met with thought I was having a c-section TODAY! If they had have read my chart they would see that I was just there for a consultation but I guess they just assumed since most people don’t have consults. After meeting with the doctor I found out that the needle will definitely go into my back but they can’t guarantee that the medicine will get to where it needs to go. She could have sent me for a CT scan but we wouldn’t get a clear enough image or she could have given me an epidural then to see if it took, but then I’d have to stay in the hospital until it wore off. I decided I would just wait and see. The problem will come if the epidural or spinal block doesn’t take and I end up needing a c-section. If that’s the case I will need to be put under general anesthetic for the surgery. We are still hoping not to have a c-section though so we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
After my consultation I went to check on my cousin Breanne who was having surgery. I ended up staying the rest of the afternoon with her family while they waited for her to be moved to the ICU, and went home with my mom when she was done work. I was surprised they let me go into see her but glad I got the chance. Breanne was sore and tired but was focused more on my belly and the baby then herself.
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment