Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday February 16

Happy Family Day!

What a busy couple weeks.

I had a midwife appointment on Wednesday February 4th. I had a different midwife because mine got called to a false birth but the one we had was very nice. The baby's heart beat sounded perfect, but we were told that we could hear the arrhythmia again before the baby is born. We were quite happy to hear a healthy heart beat. While we were there we discussed when I would be stopping work. They are ready for me to go off anytime now but I am hoping to wait for at least another month. I don't want to go off before April and if i can manage I would like to keep working until May. We'll see what happens between now and then. I have to go for a glucose tolerance test in the next couple weeks to see if I am at risk for gestational diabetes. I'm not looking forward to it at all since it is a 3 hour test and I have to get blood done every hour (for all of you who don't know I HATE needles), but I know it needs to be done to be sure I have a healthy baby.


That night I got home from work and discovered we had no water in the house. We figured it was a frozen pipe since it had been extremely cold. We wandered around the house to see if we could find the freeze but found nothing so we called a plumber. They said they would send some one right over and 12 hours later Reuben called another plumber and canceled the first one. The 2nd plumber was there within 2 hours and started trying to defrost the pipes. Well that was a waste of time. Luckily he didn't charge us because he couldn't fix it. We figured it was outside the house and were going to wait until Saturday (it was supposed to be +8 and rainy) to have the city come out to look at it. If the city came and the freeze was on our property it would cost us $347 to fix it. Well Sunday morning we still had no water so we called the city. Someone came out to look and it and ordered a crew to come in Monday morning to dig up our property to have it defrosted. The crew showed up at 9am and we finally had water at 4pm, but we couldn't use it until after 5 because it had to run dirty for an hour until the water was clean. Basically the freeze was in the middle of the road so we aren't stuck with a big bill however it can continue to happen until they rip up the road and lower the pipes below the frost line which can't happen until next year. So for now we have to keep our water running, but we aren't paying for it, they took out our water meter. We went from Wednesday evening until Monday evening without running water. Thank God for my parents who let us fill buckets of water and shower at their house every day otherwise we never would have survived.


This past Wednesday I went for another massage. At this point I am going every 2 weeks just to cope with my back pain. I really should be going more frequently but my insurance company only covers $400 per year and at $45 for a 1/2 hour massage that doesn't give you very many massages. My massage therapist says the muscles in my back are very tight, but she is able to relieve some of the tension by the end of the 1/2 hour. I feel great for the first few days after, and it slowly tightens up from there. I'm very grateful for the couple days relief though, it makes a big difference.

Reuben got to feel the baby move for the first time on Valentine's Day. I am so happy the baby finally co-operated for him. Usually as soon as Reuben puts his hand on my belly the baby stops moving, once he takes his hand away it moves again. Apparently we have a very stubborn baby already. Saturday the baby was moving a lot with very strong kicks, so strong I could actually see my belly moving. I asked Reuben if he could reach my belly without me moving (as soon as I moved I figured the baby would stop). As soon as he put his hand down the baby kicked really hard. Reuben thought it was strange but cool and took his hand away very quickly. I'm glad he felt it though. I knew if he didn't try he would eventually regret it.

Well I guess that's it for now. After such a stressful couple weeks I'm ready for some relaxing. I've got such a busy week ahead of me though I know that won't happen. I'm heading to London to go shopping with Andrea on Thursday and will be coming home on Saturday. Reuben will have the house to himself for a few days. Hopefully he'll miss me and not enjoy the quiet too much.

No comments: